Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sakura, so special in Japan

When it comes to spring, it seems that the most important issue for both Japanese and also for foreigners is ‘when will the sakura bloom? Around the end of February and beginning of March, I was able to see a map of Japan covered in pink very often during the TV weather forecast program. Well, the map is called sakura - jean sen (桜前線) and it is about cherry blossom schedule forecast during the year’s spring season. Like this, I heard that every year, when spring comes, The Japanese meteorological agency makes predictions of when and where the cherry blossoms will bloom. With this predicted dates, people wait for the moment that they can enjoy the full blossom.

sakura - jean sen (桜前線)

During the early April, many of my friends including both Japanese and foreign friends were excited about going to hanami and were busy talking about it. But, I was indifferent about it because I just thought that hanami is going to be seeing a few crop of sakura trees and that is all. Wow, but what I experienced during the hanami period was a lot more than that. I was surprised! During the season, everywhere I go, I could see information about sakura blooming. Every station I go, I could see leaflets and advertisement about hanami places. Our Kansai Gaidai library was also showing out many books about beautiful temples and shrines which have great cherry blossoms.

In the early April, I went out with my friends so often to enjoy sakura trees. I went out as many times I can, so that I do not regret missing this one life time experience. Amazingly, sakura was blooming everywhere, not only inside temples, shrines, but also at hirakata river bank, on the street and even inside our school.

A shrine in Kyoto, Heian Jingu Shrine, it was so crowded and
I was even able to meet Korean trourists who came to see sakura too.


Hirakata river bank, I see people sitting under full bloom sakura tree.

On they way to Hirakata St.,Street near our school, bunch of sakura trees were standing in line.
When my friend and I was taking picture, I could also see other people taking picture too, who could not just pass by this beautiful scene.

Sakura tree near the main gate of Kansai Gaidai.
Since it is standing in the corner, nobody seems to really notice it.


I knew the national flower of Japan is the sakura, but I seriously did not know that hanami is really big event in spring and Japanese people keep this flower so close by them. According to my experience, in Korea, even though the rose of Sharon is the national flower, I do not see them very much. But, here in Japan the national flower is all over the place in spring. My friends told me that the sakura blooming time also has special meaning since it matches with Japanese people's start of work, entrance of school, and graduation. So, sakura which bloom fast and fall at once is usually compared with meeting of new people and seperation. It seems that every important starts and knots of Japanese people's life, sakura flower was always with them.

first picture :www.jal.com/world/en/guidetojapan/seasons/spring/

No comments:

Post a Comment